Monday, June 26, 2006

Make New Friends, But Keep The Old?

To those of you who I've called my best friend at different times in my life, I don't know what to tell you other than there's a new friend in town, and she goes by the name of Eva Marie Saint. Oh! Have you heard of her? Yea, she won an Oscar back in 1954 for her role as Edie Doyle opposite Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront. And she hung from Mt. Everest grasping for Cary Grant's hand in North by Northwest.

True, I have never won an Oscar playing opposite Brando, or hung from Mt. Everest grasping for Grant, so you might wonder what do I have in common with Eva--and yes, I'm on a first name basis. Well, as it turns out, we both have a taste for choral music on a Sunday afternoon. Or rather her daughter -my mom's business partner- sang in this said choir, and we were the happy and supporting audience as they sang Mozart, etc. As our two parties met during intermission, my unusual name and recent graduation immediately made for interesting and lively banter. And thus a golden friendship was born. She was so warm, and not movie-star-ish, telling me I had to travel to Australia and Africa--as this is the time to be enjoying myself.

At the reception after the performance, she asked me what I thought about the film Cars. So I gave her my two cents, telling her it was my least favorite of the Pixar films because it's not very interesting to watch automobiles trying to emote sentiments for two hours. To which she responded, "Oh, that's a really interesting observation...ya know it's too bad, because Paul Newman, who I know personally, is such a great actor!" So, realizing I may have stuck my foot in my mouth, I sorta backtracked and restated; "it has nothing to do with the obviously amazing cast, it was just the concept that was the issue." Phew! But Eva gets me. Then as we hugged goodbye, she and her lovely director husband of 55 years (how fabulous is that?!) wished me good luck, and she said to me, "I've got a good feeling about you Chloe, you just send out vibes." As a film enthusiast, I can't really complain about that Sunday, except for maybe if it was Hitchcock or Cary Grant themselves, but they're both dead, so that would have made the story just plain creepy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Claire and Lara said...

you needs sitemeter. do it babe! and we need to link to you...will happen soon with posting included re you, etc. (at same time as hatetohelp intro to you and celebrity giveaways)? think about it...

6/27/2006 9:58 AM  
Blogger Claire and Lara said...

the whole mountain thing is realy funny

6/27/2006 9:58 AM  
Blogger chloeee said...

fafi, you found me! did mom tell u about this, or are you so computer saavy, that you navigated your way to my site?

C&L
must tell u how tickled pink im being mentioned on ur site, must draw comparison to ur excitement about being mentioned on karyn bosnaks site. AND yes i say go for hatetohelp intro, tho we can exchange some more emails bout the details :D

6/28/2006 10:42 PM  
Blogger Claire and Lara said...

c:
see your cryptic message. will talk re real email so as to use more words.
what thinking, you?
c&L

6/29/2006 2:05 AM  
Blogger Claire and Lara said...

i need more frequent updates.

6/30/2006 6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home